Author Topic: Installed Centos linux & Ubuntuu on my computer  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Joe

• Activity:
    0%
    • Show only replies by Joe
    • View Profile
  • Rated: +1939 / -1484
Installed Centos linux & Ubuntuu on my computer
« on: October 06, 2022, 11:39:54 AM »
....and it seemed to take forever.
Just millions lines of code as they were being installed.

Can't say I'll ever understand them.

But they both seem to have become the preferred linux flavors of choice. Stuff like Blender and da Vinci Resolve run on them just like Apple or Windows now. Linux is free tho.

...any suggestions on how to manage or tame these beasts?

What else are they good for?
  • Fucking idiot    Like    Unlike    Triggered    Hysterical    Awesome!    Shit Post!     Gay

Offline Rancidmilko

• Trogz
  • Fuckheads
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Show only replies by Rancidmilko
    • View Profile
  • Rated: +4779 / -1463
Re: Installed Centos linux & Ubuntuu on my computer
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 12:11:16 PM »
If you wanna really how to use it, get ready for lots of tutorials and how-tos

Simple things like installing new hardware sometimes are impossible in Linux, unless you find workarounds

What really kills Linux for me is that it doesn't run games like Windows does

• Fucking idiot    Like    Unlike    Triggered    Hysterical    Awesome!    Shit Post!     Gay

Offline Joe

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 12:22:10 PM »
If you wanna really how to use it, get ready for lots of tutorials and how-tos

Simple things like installing new hardware sometimes are impossible in Linux, unless you find workarounds

What really kills Linux for me is that it doesn't run games like Windows does

I'm not much of a gamester, Rancid.

I just noticed that when these vendors sell you software now, they're increasingly offering versions that   run on linux as well as Windows/ Mac.

So it would appear that some versions of linux are going mainstream and even commercial apps use them.

Im not much into the egghead stuff yer refeerring to. ID just Rather install it hopefully itll work hitch or glitch free like mac or windows

Offline Oliver Clotheshoffe

• Trogz
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Check me out, I'm dancing I'm dancing!
    • Show only replies by Oliver Clotheshoffe
    • View Profile
  • Rated: +8156 / -877
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 03:11:36 PM »
If you're starting out with Linux use the Package Manager to install and remove programs and it will take care of all the details. There are some programs like Blender that you just download, unzip and double click the icon to start. Some program installations can get pretty complicated though so stick with the easy stuff to start off with.

Watch some videos on using the terminal and get in some practice. It's like the old MS-DOS days where you type in commands to do what you want. It's often much faster and easier to get things done than using a graphical interface.

But most importantly don't be in a hurry. Take your time and have fun. Find something you're interested in and start using it. YouTube has a gazillion videos on Linux and the Ubuntu forums are a good place to look up info and ask questions too.

Also make sure all your hardware is in place before installing Linux and it will set everything up for you. Trying to add hardware later can be a total pain like Rancid said.

Happy computing!

Offline Joe

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 03:21:00 PM »
If you're starting out with Linux use the Package Manager to install and remove programs and it will take care of all the details. There are some programs like Blender that you just download, unzip and double click the icon to start. Some program installations can get pretty complicated though so stick with the easy stuff to start off with.

Watch some videos on using the terminal and get in some practice. It's like the old MS-DOS days where you type in commands to do what you want. It's often much faster and easier to get things done than using a graphical interface.

But most importantly don't be in a hurry. Take your time and have fun. Find something you're interested in and start using it. YouTube has a gazillion videos on Linux and the Ubuntu forums are a good place to look up info and ask questions too.

Also make sure all your hardware is in place before installing Linux and it will set everything up for you. Trying to add hardware later can be a total pain like Rancid said.

Happy computing!

Im currently running centos and ubuntu on the mac using parallels. That made it a lot easier than doing a native install on a fresh brand new hard drive. But even that took a long time.

Linux is a very kludgy user unfriendly Operating system.

Offline Oliver Clotheshoffe

• Trogz
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Check me out, I'm dancing I'm dancing!
    • Show only replies by Oliver Clotheshoffe
    • View Profile
  • Rated: +8156 / -877
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 03:30:27 PM »

Linux is a very kludgy user unfriendly Operating system.

No argument about that, I've been using it thirty years now and still get frustrated at times. Stick with Ubuntu, it's one of the best-supported distros or try Linux Mint which I've found most everything works right out of the box. Just treat it as something you do for fun and you'll be fine.

Offline Joe

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 03:36:23 PM »

No argument about that, I've been using it thirty years now and still get frustrated at times. Stick with Ubuntu, it's one of the best-supported distros or try Linux Mint which I've found most everything works right out of the box. Just treat it as something you do for fun and you'll be fine.

Centos linux appears to be the preferred linux flavor for da vinci resolve and other graphics intensive programs. Ubuntu perhaps for Blender and some otheres.

I dont often see Linux mint listed as one compatible for the more complicated apps.

Ubuntu and Cenros appear to be the linux flavors which have come out on top.

Offline Joe

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2022, 01:51:41 PM »
Who or which organizations use Linux:

Offline Rancidmilko

• Trogz
  • Fuckheads
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Show only replies by Rancidmilko
    • View Profile
  • Rated: +4779 / -1463
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2022, 08:02:57 PM »
Have you compiled your first kernel yet Joe?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6