Author Topic: Salutations from the sewers.  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Positronic Jesus

• Vermin King
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Show only replies by Positronic Jesus
    • View Profile
  • Rated: +0 / -0
Salutations from the sewers.
« on: November 29, 2018, 12:07:24 AM »
I'm just making a pitstop before I get my elbows greasy in other forums.  Send any and all nudes, female only, to my inbox.  You might regret it, but I won't.
  • Fucking idiot    Like    Unlike    Triggered    Hysterical    Awesome!    Shit Post!     Gay

Offline Biggie Smiles

• Activity:
    0%
  • Smile
    • Show only replies by Biggie Smiles
    • View Profile
  • Rated: +30592 / -6724
Re: Salutations from the sewers.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 12:08:27 AM »
Welcome P.J
  • Fucking idiot    Like    Unlike    Triggered    Hysterical    Awesome!    Shit Post!     Gay

Offline LotusBud

• Mods
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Show only replies by LotusBud
    • View Profile
  • Rated: +3125 / -21912
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 10:43:49 PM »
I read your name as Post Ironic Jesus, which I thought was pretty clever.  What is positronic?  Is that some kind of gamer lingo?
PRESIDENT HE-MAN TRUMP

Offline Garraty_47

• Loquacious AF
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Powered By Coffee
    • Show only replies by Garraty_47
    • View Profile
  • Rated: +1790 / -680
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 11:03:42 PM »
What is positronic?

I've always heard it in reference to cars, specifically rear-wheel-driven muscle cars.  Positronic traction means both rear wheels always spin at the same rate, whereas limited-slip traction means usually only the tire with the least resistance will spin (say you've got one tire on pavement and another on mud- the tire on mud spins while the other doesn't).

In the movie 'My Cousin Vinnie' there's a much better explanation by Marisa Tomei's character.
Well... much more entertaining explanation anyway, which is even better than better.

Offline Blurt

• Activity:
    0%
    • Show only replies by Blurt
    • View Profile
  • Rated: +1918 / -176
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 06:44:42 AM »
Positronic brains. Robots. Asimov.

A positronic brain is a fictional technological device, originally conceived by science fiction writer Isaac Asimov. It functions as a central processing unit (CPU) for robots, and, in some unspecified way, provides them with a form of consciousness recognizable to humans. When Asimov wrote his first robot stories in 1939 and 1940, the positron was a newly discovered particle, and so the buzz word positronic added a contemporary gloss of popular science to the concept. The short story "Runaround", by Asimov, elaborates on the concept, in the context of his fictional Three Laws of Robotics.

source

Could be that, until such time as quantum computing comes into its own, Positronic Jesus may be just barely aware of his own divinity.

Offline AMF

• Activity:
    0%
    • Show only replies by AMF
    • View Profile
  • Rated: +6 / -74
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 09:19:51 AM »
I believe Blurt is correct with the Azimov connection.

Not to quibble with Vitriol, but a drive axle which doesn't allow differential wheelspeeds can't go around a corner very well and is mostly used in straight-line drag racing.  It's not a LSD but actually a locked differential.

I've posted in the Tavern a brief essay on Positraction and other LSD systems, at
https://stomping-groundz.com/index.php?topic=1024.msg10460#msg10460

I regard that scene from My Cousin Vinny as one of the high water marks of American cinema, and I fell head over heels in love with Marisa Tomei just as did every other gearhead I know.  One irony, though, in Lisa's testimony about the murderers' car, is that while the 1963 Pontiac Tempest did offer IRS and a LSD, Pontiac's trade name for LSD was actually Sure-Trac rather than Positraction, a technical error which fortunately didn't affect the outcome of the film.

To be fair, the Pontiac Sure-Trac differential and the Chevy Positraction differential were both built in the same plant in Saginaw and were for all intents and purposes identical.

Offline Garraty_47

• Loquacious AF
  • Activity:
    0%