Author Topic: Everything you think you Know about Addiction is Wrong  (Read 573 times)

Offline AMF

• Activity:
    0%
    • Show all replies
    • View Profile
  • Rated: +6 / -74
..."if you were going to design a system that would make addiction worse, you would design THAT system."

This is a great talk, and even though he fails to credit Stanton Peele for his seminal 1975 book "Love and Addiction," in which he first connected the dots in the specific case of Vietnam vets addicted to heroin.  Nothing Peele has done since then has been very useful, sadly.  Other trail blazers like Patrick Carnes have had the same thing happen, because in nearly every case they've become part of the fucking System, and the search for Truth has become subsumed by the search for "I'll bet I can make a million bucks offa this."

I'll wait for @Dovey so I can have some other thoughts to riff off of.  And maybe Oak if she comes back.

• Fucking idiot    Like    Unlike    Triggered    Hysterical    Awesome!    Shit Post!     Gay

Offline AMF

• Activity:
    0%
    • Show all replies
    • View Profile
  • Rated: +6 / -74
Re: Everything you think you Know about Addiction is Wrong
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 01:34:35 AM »
I agree, and after watching all of the clip I still think the take-away for me is the comment I quoted in my first reply to this thread.  I, too, will have more to say about this when I'm not dead tired.

• Fucking idiot    Like    Unlike    Triggered    Hysterical    Awesome!    Shit Post!     Gay

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6